Kate Jones and Mandy Hose met over a decade ago and bonded over their premature twins with additional needs, and their remarkable capacity for love, laughter and swearing like troopers. As they grew closer, they confided feeling 'on the floor' loneliness sometimes because no one was talking about what life was like for families like theirs. So began Too Peas in a Podcast, a weekly conversation in which the two friends discuss the challenges and joys of parenting twins with additional needs, and in doing so they have given their community a voice.
I have a number of friends who are absolute die-hard fans of the Too Peas podcast and who introduced the podcast to me, so I was really delighted to be able to chat with Mandy and Kate 'in real life'.
In this episode, we talk about:
- How the 'Too Peas' podcast began and its meteoric rise to fame
- The story behind how 'The Invisible Life of Us' book evolved
- Challenging things that people say to parents of kids with additional needs, and how we could better support each other
- How their experience of faith has changed since having their twins
- Reflections on the "grief" that parents might feel when receiving a diagnosis for their child
- 'Empeathy' and the greatest gifts from parenting their awesome kids
- How these busy mums look after themselves and find joy, and what it means to live a good life amongst the challenges
Mandy Hose is a great woman, who runs her own sleep and settling consultancy business called Mandy Hose She Knows, and loves her family. She is a co host of Too Peas and began the podcast to help all parents of multiples who live with disabilities and additional needs. Mandy wants no one to feel alone anymore, parenting on the road less travelled.
Kate Jones during the day is a stylist who runs her own home staging business called Instant Impression. Her alter ego Kate Pea is one half of Too Peas in a Podcast. She also has 5 children including identical twin boys who were her inspiration for starting the podcast.
Buy 'The Invisible Life of Us' book at Booktopia, or your local bookstore.
Also mentioned in this episode:
I'd love you to join the Mummalove Lounge Facebook group and continue the conversation! Click on this link to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mummalovelounge
Please leave a rating and review of the Mummalove podcast over on Apple Podcasts. Not sure how to do that? You can watch my quick video guide over here on the website - scroll down past all the episode covers to find it.