Belinda Smith is one of Australia's leading independent voices on children's health, and an advocate for real food in schools. Co-Founder of The Root Cause, Bel is also a mother of two, a health coach, and the creator of many educational programs that help empower children, parents and teachers to make better food choices.
In this episode, Bel and I talk about:
- The inspiration behind her passion to find the truth about what we're eating, even though she didn't have any background in nutrition
- The impact of Bel and her family travelling around Australia, visiting schools and teaching kids about real food
- Why speaking up about food is not all rainbows and unicorns, how she deals with the pushback and a childhood incident that reminded Bel of the power of using her voice
- Quick hacks to make small changes to our family eating habits today (and why it's important to start small)
- The work Bel is now doing and how she empowers parents and kids
Bel's first book, The Lunchbox Effect was published in 2020 and is an exposé on the packaged snack foods commonly found in children’s lunchboxes, and a guide book for parents on what growing brains and bodies need to thrive.
You can find out more about Bel on Instagram @therootcauseau. You can also connect with her on her website therootcause.com.au/dinner
You can buy The Lunchbox Effect book from therootcause.com.au/thelunchboxeffect/
Also mentioned in this episode:
I'd love you to join the new Mummalove Lounge Facebook group and continue the conversation! Click on this link to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mummalovelounge
Please leave a rating and review of the Mummalove podcast over on Apple Podcasts. Not sure how to do that? You can watch my quick video guide over here on the website - scroll down past all the episode covers to find it.
Want to get notified of new episodes directly on your phone? Subscribe to the podcast using your favorite app!